Sunday, May 17, 2009

Damn computer.

I have a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4830. I bought it this past August, so it's not even a year old. I bought it from Best Buy. It was the only one they had left, so I had to pay for them "optimizing" it--in theory, removing all the trial programs. Which was something they didn't do.

I knew there was a reason I hate Best Buy.

Anyway, it's been one problem after another with this damned thing. To begin with, the DVD player works only intermittently. I actually called tech support about that less than 8 hours after bringing it home. No shit. The drive will drop off the face of the planet completely at random. There's nothing that causes it. Sometimes tech support's fix works, sometimes it doesn't. The last time it came back, it did so completely on its own, and it's worked for the last several months. Well, I suppose it does; I actually don't use it very often.

The latest thing is this: when I am in the middle of doing something, the computer will die. Just cut itself off. Poof. Try to turn it back on...nothing. It's not that the battery is dead. It's that the computer just. stops. working. Let it sit about half an hour or so, then turn it back on and startup repair will work its magic and the computer will be back up.

This happened the first time a couple of months ago. Then about a month ago. Then yesterday. Then today. The first time I tried repairing it, it went to a Blue Screen of Death and said I had a fatal error. And when it finally did work, it came back VERY slowly.

I know it's still under warranty. I know I could fight Toshiba/Best Buy over this. But you know what? I don't have the energy for that. I seriously don't. Toshiba's tech support isn't in America. Toshiba's tech support speaks with a very heavy accent that I can't understand. It's almost enough to make me take a self-study course in Hindi, call them, and insist on speaking in their native language, so they get a taste of their own medicine. Think about it. Hindi with a very thick Texas accent. (My accent isn't really thick. Unless I want it to be.) Best Buy is, well, Best Buy.

Fuck that. Fuck Toshiba. Fuck Best Buy. I will replace this at the beginning of next semester, out of my student loan, and Dave Ramsey will cry.

Til then, I will limp along as best I can. If y'all don't see or hear anything out of me for a couple of weeks, assume the computer finally died irrevocably, and I'll check in at the library whenever I can.

And yes, I'm backing my photos up as I speak. (There are no documents on here that I particularly care about.)

3 comments:

JD said...

Sounds like you may have a lot of dust in it and after the sensors in it get hot it will shut down until it cools off. . . have you tried to blow air through the vent holes or maybe vacuum them to see if you can get any dust out of it??

I have had a desktop shut down due to heat and after opening it and blowing out the dust she was fine.

Just a thought

none said...

when it dies try holding the power button for 10 seconds.

This sounds like a heat problem as well. Try to keep air flow around the laptop and avoid laying it on a blanket or cushion that can block the fans.

Sabra said...

Yeah, I have no doubt it's an overheating problem. Kinda makes me wish it was a desktop I could open up & tackle.

Visually it looks okay, but I think I will get a can of air & spray it out, see if that helps.