Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Oh, it never gets old

This song:



I love this song. Have since I was little.  There in that last verse, when he sings "Hey pretty baby, don't you know it ain't my fault/Love to hear the steel belts humming on the asphalt..." LOVE IT.

Also, the fact that I said to Erik "Hey, baby, play us some music" and a few seconds later I hear this song?  Yeah, totally why I married him.

True story: It took me ages to figure out the name of this song and who did it.  After 1986, it just wasn't played that often. As far as Nashville is concerned, Steve Earle is a one hit wonder.  But when I was 15, after about a year of trying, I figured out that it was readily available on The Essential Steve Earle, and that that album was easy to find at Wal-Mart.  So, with my birthday coming up, I started asking everybody for it.  I told both my parents, multiple times, that I wanted that damned album for my birthday.

So, what did I get?  This:

Twice. For my 16th birthday.  It was an early FML moment.

1 comment:

kx59 said...

love Steve Earle. Copperhead Road is my favorite, the Devil's Right Hand might be my second.
Tom Ames Prayer, which he wrote and Robert Earl Keen covered is another favorite.