Sunday, October 11, 2009

Believe what I say, not what I do.

Obama again pledges to change policy on gays.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. I'll go with Cleve Jones on this:

"He repeated his promises that he's made to us before, but he did not indicate when he would accomplish these goals and we've been waiting for a while now."

I've hit Obama's promises to gays in this space before. I've seen no indication he's not talking out his ass on a very important day for gays.

We may well have women on submarines soon. Just so long as they're not gay. And wouldn't that be a hell of a spotlight, if one of the first women bubbleheads got the boot for liking the kitty? (Again, I've known a lot of submariners in my time, and not a single one who gave a damn about the sexual orientation of his fellows, though I'm sure ones who do are out there.)

Time will tell, but I have the strong feeling the Big O simply is pandering to a constituency without having anything concrete planned. Hey, this sort of thing has worked for him in the very recent past, hasn't it?

2 comments:

Dave said...

There are people in the military who are opposed to gay folk openly serving, but when I hear their arguments, I suspect they were probably upset over women serving and possibly even black folk being integrated.

Twenty years from now when openly gay men can serve (as opposed to now, where they serve in the closet), we'll wonder what all the fuss was.

But even if Mr. Obama lifts the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy, it still doesn't allow gays to serve. It just lifts that policy put in by Mr. Clinton, supposedly to stop the witch hunt for homos. Lotta good that did.

TBeck said...

Dick Cheney has more support for gay rights than BHO. I wonder how the Kos-tards deal with the cognitive dissonance?