Friday, December 14, 2007

Damn

Back in the halcyon days of early summer (June-ish), I made a post on MySpace about a song by the Lost Immigrants called Evangeline. I came across it listening to Pandora and fell in love with it, though I've never really been able to articulate why.

I would, I decided at the time, name my next daughter--which I didn't plan to have, so it seemed safe enough--Evangeline.

The rest of the story from there is short. I got pregnant. I married that decision to my oft-repeated threat to name my next daughter after myself, & if the baby was a girl (we never find out beforehand), her name would be Sabra Evangeline Hope.

Baby didn't make it.

The song is still in my Pandora playlist, which isn't much of an issue since I don't have internet at home at the moment. But I've taken to carting my earbuds along to the library so I can listen to Pandora & drown out the crazy-talking-to-themselves people (who for some reason all seem to be computer literate). And the past two times, I've gotten to listen to Evangeline. Complete with the line "Sweet Evangeline...baby will you be mine?"

I guess not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sabra: So sorry to hear about the baby. I know how horrible that situation can be for women, though I doubt any man can truly understand the physical and emotional pain (and scars). Evangeline would have been a beautiful name, too. We'll be in San Antonio on Jan. 23 at Sam's Burger Joint and I personally would love to give you a hug and encourage you to keep on keepin' on. Thank you for listening to our tunes and enjoying them! - James Dunning, Lost Immigrants