Saturday, April 21, 2012

You have GOT to be shitting me

This morning one of my friends was complaining that Oreo isn't running a particular ad.  Apparently they're afraid some folks will find it offensive?  One of her friends asked her what ad she meant & she linked to a HuffPo article about it.

HuffPo censored the ad.

They're not the only ones.  I had a hell of a time finding an uncensored version to put here in my blog.  Most of them looked a lot like this:

(source)

Are you shitting me?

I mean, you can clearly tell what's going on here, right?  It's the classic snack--milk and cookies.  (I don't actually encourage this, by the way, 'cause babies have this bad habit of not realizing they can't nurse and chew at once, and OW.)

But good Christ, there is nothing there that needs censoring!  Here, look:

OH MY FUCKING GOD THERE IS A SMALL BIT OF DUSKY-COLORED SKIN SHOWING!  EVERYBODY PANIC!

And people wonder why I refuse to participate in normal society.

6 comments:

breda said...

I just saw a news story about this and couldn't believe it either. First, I love the ad, it's very clever.

Secondly, WHERE DO PEOPLE THINK HUMAN MILK COMES FROM?

Mark/GreyLocke said...

Oh for crying out loud. I'm a child of the late 60's early 70's and I cannot remember how many times as a kid I saw a mother nursing her child. On the bus, at church, in a restaurant. The ridiculousness of this is mind blowing. OMG SHE'S NURSING A BABY!!!! So, what! Get over it. It's natural, mothers have been doing it for thousands and thousands if not millions of years. I swear some people need to complain just to justify their miserable existence.

greg said...

I do think the add is very funny...ingenious even.

I'm not easily offended, though. Heck...even if I was easily offended, a picture of THAT wouldn't offend me. One(juvenile) might even say that I find it 'titillating'.

My postiton being made clear, I can say I'm somewhat surprised Oreo tried to run with that add. As support of mainstream breast-feeding...cool. From a not alienating a customer base viewpoint...not so sure.

WRONG or right, that 'dusky-colored skin' has been considered where the 'naughty' part of the breast starts by normal society. Someone has to take the first step in 'normalizing' things...I'm just surprised it's Oreo...

greg said...

And on a strictly 'not to hi-jack' basis, does this mean Breda is feeling the itch to jump back in to blogging?

Sabra said...

Greg, actually Oreo came out the day after the ad hit and immediately disavowed it, saying that it was never intended to actually be used, but was made by an independent ad agency as a "See what we can do" sort of thing.

Dave said...

But Sabra, what if what if my kids see that ad and I am then forced to explain to them why some kids get to eat cookies for dinner?