Sunday, March 04, 2012

Let me spell it out for my fellow women:

If you don't want the government in your uterus, don't put it there.

Government overreaches.  That's what it does.  It is also blind to self-contradictory statements.  You can't say "Keep white men away from my uterus, but make them pay for my contraceptives!"

The government assumes an ownership stake in things it pays for.  This is why things like the Medicaid Women's Health program exist--because it's cheaper to pay for contraceptives than pregnancy care.  I'm not sure why so many Progressive women miss that.  The program exists so that the government can exert control on the reproductive systems of poor women. 

I don't doubt a good many of my readers are okay with that--after all, if society at large is going to pay for the children born to poor women, shouldn't we have a say in how many of them there are?  Honestly, it's not a subject I want to debate right now.  I am just here to point out the hypocrisy.

If you want the government out of your uterus, it has to be all the way out.  "Just the tip" is a bad idea however you slice it, mmkay?

No comments: