Tuesday, February 08, 2011

30 Days of Truth: Day 9

Day 09 → Someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted.

Hard one, this.  I am not as close to my brother & sister as I'd like to be, but that's mostly due to large age gaps and being raised separately.  I can't say they've drifted, though, as that implies a former closeness.

There is someone, though.  A very good friend of mine from high school, whom I haven't seen since 2001, and haven't talked to in almost that long: John Brysch.

John & I met in 9th grade German class.  He was multilingual too, but went to the other junior high that had the program.  He was (is), as a mutual friend said, the consummate introvert, and so we took a little while to connect.  However, we wound up spending most of our lunches together over the years (strange how we always had them at the same time!  There were something like three lunch periods).  Junior year we both wound up in Russian class, and so of course we had it senior year as well (and both switched over to that language program.  We were, in fact, the first graduating seniors in the Russian multilingual program--and the only two in said group).

We worked together briefly after high school, and hung around quite a bit even when he got a different job.  He eventually moved to McAllen a short while after I got married, but was home on leave from the Marine Corps shortly after 9/11 (he was an electrician, stationed in Japan, and got nowhere near the wars to my knowledge) and that was the last time we were together in person.  Last I heard he was out of the military & back here, but I don't know where or with whom he's hanging out now.  Might even be married, which  would be nice--he was engaged once, but it didn't work out.  Both his steady girlfriends whom I also knew are married now--his ex-fiancee is a Facebook friend, in fact.  I haven't asked her about him, as I suspect she never really got over him.

He's not the sort to join Facebook--he had to be coerced by our Russian teacher into even attending graduation--so I don't have a clue how to reconnect.  Surprisingly enough, he's not the only John Brysch out there.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Interesting that the Marines let him become an electrician when he had the propensity for foreign language. Perhaps he didn't mention that on his paperwork.

Perhaps he will do a vanity search via Google and find that you have written about him.