Thursday, December 23, 2010

Other stupid things

13-year-old arrested for Sharpie possession

Not as bad as the gun-crunching everyone else has been talking about, but just as much evidence of the screwed-up state of the world in general and government education in particular:

Woodside, pictured at right, reported that the child, whose name was redacted by police from the report, attempted to hide the marker when she asked him for it. Strangely, Woodside’s Facebook page reveals that her “likes and interests” include the official “Sharpie Permanent Markers” page on Facebook.

Campos reported that he allowed Woodside, a seventh grade math teacher, to “sign a citation” against the boy, who was then transported to the Community Intervention Center, a juvenile holding facility. A police sergeant subsequently “booked the marker into the property room.”
 For reals, y'all?

I mean, I can understand being pissed that a student's marker is bleeding onto his desk, & I can't think of a single appropriate use for a Sharpie in math class, but to have a kid arrested for it?  Is all real crime gone from Oklahoma City?  (Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes: Do you know why all the trees in Dallas are bent to the north?  'Cause Oklahoma sucks.)  Way to take a kid who's misbehaving just a little bit and turn him into a juvenile delinquent.

Man, if I'd been arrested all the times I goofed off in class out of sheer boredom (moreso in high school than in junior high, to be fair), I'd probably still be serving time.

No comments: