Saturday, June 26, 2010

Someone at Etsy has been sniffing the craft glue

This gal, actually, who is the curator of the following treasury.  (Er, I realize those words have little meaning in the real world, but that's what Etsy calls it, so I'm rollin' with it.)

With Liberty and Diversity for all.  Happy 4th of July to all!

*blink*

With liberty and diversity for all?

Set aside for a moment that that's a mangling of the Pledge of Allegiance.  I don't think Martita quite gets it.  Dig the money quote at the top of the comments on the page I linked to:

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Why yes, yes we are.  I count myself blessed to live in the city I live in, which has been influenced by many cultures.  Regular readers know this is a favorite subject of mine.  Mexicans, Germans, Americans, blacks, etc have all heavily influenced San Antonio.  But here's the thing.  We are not a city of several distinct, heterogeneous cultures, rubbing up against each other and never intersecting.  I can pretty much guarantee you that there are black people eating breakfast tacos at Bill Miller's before going to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day freedom march (which may well be the biggest, period, which is saying something with our whopping 7% black population).  My lily-white kids danced to conjunto music at Fiesta in Market Square, where corn dogs were sold alongside gorditas.  These cultures have blended together to produce something far stronger than had we spent the city's history clinging to the golden calf of diversity.

Make no mistake, diversity is dangerous. 

Valuing diversity over justice is even more dangerous.  This is a type of moral relativism, that sop so beloved by multiculturalists that, not that long ago, the American Academy of Pediatrics (temporarily, thank God) okayed a form of female circumcision.  Fully embracing diversity requires us to embrace great injustice--thus my bitching not too long ago about so-called feminists rejecting Saudi women rising up against that country's "virtue police."

Fuck diversity.  I want justice, because I want peace, and beyond that I want it to be a meaningful peace.  Mere absence of war isn't peace.  To have peace, you must have an absence of abuse of human rights.  I refuse to embrace diversity if that is the cost--and it is.

Of course, I also put a lot more thought into things than I have seen most liberals doing.  Diversity sounds good, and justice sounds like it might be kinda violent (after all, it presupposes winners & losers, and can't we all just get along?).

1 comment:

BobG said...

Diversity is overrated. Americans have traditionally welcomed other cultures and adopted the ones they liked, and dropped the ones they didn't care for.
I still prefer the melting pot philosophy; cultures merge, the best features staying, the least taking a back seat. What you end up with is an alloy; stronger than its individual parts.
If you keep maintaining all the diversity, instead of an alloy you end up with something more like peanut brittle, and just as strong.
Just my opinion.