Monday, March 08, 2010

I must say I am happy.

I didn't watch the Oscars; I monitored them via Facebook, which is to say occasionally I saw something about it on my news feed and figured out what had happened.

First things first--Ryan Bingham wins for Original Song (or whatever the hell the category is actually called) for "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart.  I love the song, but my favorite Ryan Bingham tune is always gonna be "Bread & Water".  That guy can tear up a guitar like no one's business.

Also, The Hurt Locker won Best Picture and a few other random technical awards (Film Editing, Best Original Screenplay).  I loved the film; I'm pretty sure Erik enjoyed it.  Actual OIF vets seem split on the film.

But here's the thing.

The Hurt Locker beat out (among other things) Avatar.


What does it say when even in Hollywood the far left vision is rejected in favor of a film with a decidedly--gasp--pro-American-military slant?

I realize that, here in the real world, Oscar doesn't mean crap.  But H'wood sure thinks it does.  So, hey, north of 0600 in a Monday morning, I'll take my happy where I can get it.

3 comments:

Albatross said...

Does The Hurt Locker actually have a pro-military slant? If so, I'm very surprised it won anything.

I'm so used to Hollywood churning out puke about the American military that I've stopped giving chances to such movies. I know I'm limiting myself, but there are only so many times that I can watch an industry make the armed forces look bad.

So, when I see a movie trailer that features the military prominently, my default position is "Crap", and I look for something else to watch.

But, if you highly recommend The Hurt Locker, I might give it a chance.

Sabra said...

It's not perfect, you know? I think we're past a point where H'wood is willing to paint a wholly-positive picture of the US military. But I've seen it twice now--once in the theater, and then again at Erik's place after I bought the DVD--and still think it's comfortably on the side of the good guys.

I'll link you to a post over on Army of Dude (which is the blog where I found out about the movie to begin with) where he lays out pretty clearly why I enjoyed the movie so much. That said, it seems a lot of people don't like it, so I make no guarantees: http://armyofdude.blogspot.com/2010/02/opening-up-hurt-locker.html

Albatross said...

Hm. OK, I read the link, and I've heard what you have to say. Believe it or not, I think I might check out the movie.

But I will approach it cautiously.