Friday, January 01, 2010

I wish them all the best, but

This is more than a little strange.

“I've never held her hand,” he said, now nearly 8,000 miles from home. “I've never kissed her. I've never been in the same room with her.”

Not that it matters. In a brief ceremony Thursday, the two tied the knot in an online wedding — the groom surrounded by friends from his unit at Bagram, the bride in a small study at her home.

The chaplain, Air Force Capt. Jonathan Runnels — who'd given premarital counseling sessions to Lawrence via computer — noted the unusual circumstances.

Nonetheless, it is holy and acceptable before God,” he said.


(Emphasis, of course, is mine.)

Yet again, I am forced to note that gay folks can't get married. Because it would ruin the meaning of marriage or some such.

Yeah.

Granted, I'm not precisely the poster child for the traditional way to meet and match. It is fully possible to fall in love with someone without having met in person. But to marry them? That doesn't strike me as exactly a good idea. There are things you simply cannot learn about a person online. Things that it won't even occur to a person to tell another about themselves that are vitally important. (My ex-husband, with whom I had a long distance relationship before we got married, kept a couple of unpleasant personal habits hidden from me 'til our honeymoon...) You have to make sure that, as my friends say, spark is there in person. That when you touch them, they feel like home.

Also, they've got six kids between them. Way to put 'em last! Much as I love my guy, if he and my kids didn't get along, there would be a huge, quite possibly impossible-to-overcome roadblock in our relationship. He had to meet the kids first. I had to know the four of them would interact well. I will say right now I don't think a whole hell of a lot of any mother who wouldn't be that careful with her own children.

I'm discussing this story with the Pistolero in another tab. He and I hesitated to so much as say "I love you" before meeting in person. I can't imagine getting engaged before touching the other person, much less marrying.

And...not to put too fine a point on it...The groom was divorced earlier in the year. The bride has been divorced twice. Now they're each marrying someone they met a bit over three months ago (sidenote: they met Sept. 24; Erik and I have been together since Sept. 15--I'm getting twitchy now), and haven't even physically looked at. There's nothing that can possibly go wrong there, is there?

Really, people. If it's real, it's going to stay real. If it's love in December, it's love in March. Why the hurry?

1 comment:

Dave said...

It isn't so much that I support Gay Marriage but that I can't find any logic to the reasons people give for being against it. Especially when you see a story like this one where we learn two people having never met can marry and it is holy and acceptable by God. Really? And will we get to see an online consummation of the marriage via some XXX web site?

I'm no proponent of forcing people who should get divorced to stay together, but I would feel much more comfortable about the ant-gay marriage people if they would start off their arguments with a statement on how they think we need to fix the current marriage situation between man and woman. Then at least it would show that they really are interested in the state of marriage and all that death do us part business.