- In Hondo, there is a store called Oasis that boasts, among other things, guns & BBQ. I love Texas.
- There is nothing between Brackettville and Del Rio, and Brackettville itself is only a small break in the nothingness between Uvalde and Del Rio.
- Saw, on the other side of the highway, a Border Patrol checkpoint. This was roughly 15 miles west of Uvalde; 18 miles or so east of Brackettville, & probably 70 miles away from Del Rio. I was unable to determine whether it was permanent or not. It took a while for me to figure out it was most likely Border Patrol; I'm not overly familiar with their uniforms & was glancing over as I sped past at about 70mph.
- It seems as if everyone in Del Rio is going somewhere, though there doesn't seem to be much of anything here. The traffic is very heavy; it's comparable to San Antonio during rush hour, though the speed limit almost everywhere is 30mph.
- We're staying in a very nice hotel. Paying much more than I had planned, but it is only for two nights. And we've got a "mini-suite", which means that there are two televisions. Which means that the munchkins can happily watch cartoons while I'm watching Cash Cab.
- There's a pool. And a fitness center. And a playground. The fitness center is open 24 hours, and I'm damn tempted to sneak down there tonight once the girls are asleep. But I'm not entirely comfortable with that.
- I still have no idea what one does in Del Rio. Besides go to Mexico (which we're not) or to Laughlin Air Force Base (which we can't).
Monday, March 09, 2009
Notes from Vacation
This will probably be updated throughout the next couple of days (it's a short vacation):