Monday, March 09, 2009

Notes from Vacation

This will probably be updated throughout the next couple of days (it's a short vacation):

  • In Hondo, there is a store called Oasis that boasts, among other things, guns & BBQ. I love Texas.
  • There is nothing between Brackettville and Del Rio, and Brackettville itself is only a small break in the nothingness between Uvalde and Del Rio.
  • Saw, on the other side of the highway, a Border Patrol checkpoint. This was roughly 15 miles west of Uvalde; 18 miles or so east of Brackettville, & probably 70 miles away from Del Rio. I was unable to determine whether it was permanent or not. It took a while for me to figure out it was most likely Border Patrol; I'm not overly familiar with their uniforms & was glancing over as I sped past at about 70mph.
  • It seems as if everyone in Del Rio is going somewhere, though there doesn't seem to be much of anything here. The traffic is very heavy; it's comparable to San Antonio during rush hour, though the speed limit almost everywhere is 30mph.
  • We're staying in a very nice hotel. Paying much more than I had planned, but it is only for two nights. And we've got a "mini-suite", which means that there are two televisions. Which means that the munchkins can happily watch cartoons while I'm watching Cash Cab.
  • There's a pool. And a fitness center. And a playground. The fitness center is open 24 hours, and I'm damn tempted to sneak down there tonight once the girls are asleep. But I'm not entirely comfortable with that.
  • I still have no idea what one does in Del Rio. Besides go to Mexico (which we're not) or to Laughlin Air Force Base (which we can't).

No comments: