Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bobbie on meat.

I have been taking the girls, one at a time, to Mi Tierra for lunch. This is one of those iconic San Antonio restaurants that in my opinion are an essential part of growing up here. (Though Mi Tierra is in the midst of the city's biggest tourist trap, and is indeed frequented by tourists, we locals refuse to hand it over completely a la most of the crap on the River Walk.) It's too expensive for a family dinner, but just right for two; even including a chunky tip we usually bring it in under $30--though I did spend a bit more than that this time.

It also, of course, provides the girls with some important one-on-one Mommy time. With three children very close in age (slightly under 2 years between each), this is often in short supply.

Bobbie was chowing down on chips as I was perusing the menu. One of their signature dishes is cabrito. I love cabrito, but it's one of those things that is either very very good or very very bad. And the menu is quite large. So I said to Bobbie, "Should I eat goat!"

She reacted about as one would expect a six-year-old to. "No!"

"Why not? They're yummy."

"But they're so cute!"

"You eat cute animals all the time. Chickens are cute."

"No they're not."

"Well, cows are cute."

"Yes, but their hamburgers are so good!"

No comments: