Saturday, August 11, 2007

Thank God for my cousin.

I have spent most of the past week dozing on my cousin's couch. She & her family live right across the street from us, & I seriously don't know how I'd make it through this pregnancy without her. The one day I tried to stay at home, I kept falling asleep despite my best efforts; not a great idea with a 5-yr-old, 3-yr-old, and nearly-2-yr-old.

I come across the street, let my kids play with her kids, & Maggie gives me a sheet and I curl up on her couch and read and half-assed try to stay awake. It's as good as life gets right now.

The transmission on my wagon went out Thursday morning. I had been resisting cancelling my gym membership. Although we can't really afford it, it's been about the only "me" time I get. But with this and the pregnancy I have to face facts. We really cannot afford $150 a month for something I won't be using (I want to exercise while I'm pregnant, but the morning sickness knocks me down & doesn't really ever go away til I give birth). Our landlord has the same model car we do, but a sedan instead of a wagon, & his replacement transmission cost about $800. I figure, worst case scenario, we can get a 'new' one in a little over five months. Hopefully it's just a case of a burst hose or some such; we had a similar problem with Rob's Corsica way back when (though it failed in a much more spectacular manner, in the middle lane in downtown Norfolk during rush hour)

But there is good news--and I am trying very hard to always look on the bright side of things--Rob's parents, for some reason, decided to buy us not only a new refrigerator but also a washer/dryer set. That's great news, no matter how you slice it. It's great to have the ability to do our own laundry now, instead of carting it over to Maggie's during the brief times she's not doing laundry.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Wish I could help ya dear, but with 7 kids, I'm barely treading water getting ready for school with new clothes and school supplies. Depending on what make/model your car is you can get a used transmission from a salvage yard for about 150 - 200 you might want to look into it.

Sabra said...

Thankfully, 1995 seems to have been a very popular year for the Taurus; with luck we won't have much trouble finding a replacement.

Of course, it strikes me that my last Taurus was given up for this very matter. Perhaps this shouldn't have been so unexpected...

Mark said...

When you get one in please use Lucas Trans Seal, it's a really thick transmission additive that has saed me a bunch of money over the years. You can get it most Oreilly's or autozones.