Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Don't be this guy. Or this other guy.

DISCLAIMER: These pictures were taken while at a complete stop at a red light. Not stop-and-go traffic.  A red light.  So there was no real chance of needing to go anywhere soon.

So...It's raining today.  And usually I do my best to sit my ass at home in the rain, but I happened to get caught by it over near my mom's. (Started raining right near I-35N and Loop 410W, for the locals.)  Which means I had to drive in it.

I am not a tailgater. I'm not going to say I'm the greatest driver ever, but I am anal about leaving plenty of room between me and the guy in front of me, because I have been rear-ended twice and the last damn thing I want to do if that happens again is to hit the guy in front of me and make it worse.  Especially with a car full of chilluns.

And we all know what happens when you leave a car length in front of you in rush hour, right?

This happens:

Yep, some idiot decided he had to get in front of me right there.  Without, mind you, enough room to actually pull all the way in, so he's sticking out into the other traffic lane.

And it's fucking raining. Heavily.  Which, for the stupid out there, means that stopping distances increase and your tires' grip on the road decreases.  Which means that what's normally just a dick move turns into a dangerous dick move.

That was at the McCullough and 410W access road intersection, by the way.  I got off the freeway there to get out of the stop-and-go traffic on the loop.

The next traffic light intersection is Blanco and 410W access road.  Where I again caught a red light.  And this happened:


What the fuck, San Antonio? Are y'all still drunk after the Spurs victory last night?

Let me be very clear.  This almost never happens to me.  And here it is, not just twice in one day, but twice in as many fucking intersections.  At a time where it was even dumber than it usually is.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't give a flying fuck if someone goes in front of me.  When I got a little further down and the traffic stopped again, I stopped back behind the driveway entrance to the shopping center and let a couple of cars out.  I am not one of those people who jealously guards the thirty feet in front of their car.  Ten seconds isn't going to make a difference to me. 

But dammit I hate it when people take the opportunity to do something that endangers me and mine.

2 comments:

peter said...

If you were already stopped, how does pulling in front of you endanger you?

Sabra said...

Because he took away my room to not hit the guy in front of me if I got hit from behind.