Friday, February 22, 2013

I think this may be what's wrong with government schools in a nutshell.

One of my Facebook friends just posted this picture:


Now, my first thought was Geez, she should send that over to the "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks. (Note that the quotation marks in that name are wrong on purpose.)

The person who posted this, presumably on her daughter's behalf, is herself a school teacher.  She apparently found nothing wrong with this.  My nine-year-old, on the other hand, took about 20 seconds to figure it out. (I'll admit that the horrible graphic design drew her attention first.)

I've been having a raucous internal debate over whether to point it out to her.

But then, a couple of days ago, she also posted this:

So...Yeah.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sabra. I have to say you are a mouthy mouth woman! I read lots and lots of blogs and I always start with the archives, it is taking me forever to get thru yours! This from a homeschooled woman who reads 800 words a minute! I do like where you are from and where you are going, tho I have to say, I think you need to get on with the college thing, as it seems you really like the writing stuff but profess to be working toward nursing. Pick one already. Though to be fair, I am at Sept 20011 so maybe you are there. I hope none of this offends you! lol I am a crazy round the way Texas girl my self! Feel free to claw out!

TinCan Assassin said...

Ma'am, I'm sorry. I must be dense. I don't see the issue with the quotation marks. To me it looks as though they are quoting a school motto.

Please be so kind as to educate me on the matter.

Sabra said...

If they are quoting something, then it's all good. But I really doubt that their school slogan is "On Board." This is more along the lines of the Baby on Board signs you see sometimes, which means the quotes are used for no reason (save perhaps emphasis, which isn't a valid use of quotation marks).