Monday, January 14, 2013

Imma go get me some government subsidized bullets!


Huh.  Who'da thunk it?  Bullets are easier to get than birth control.

I know most of my readers are men and middle-class and straight, so this might take a bit of explaining. (And I don't mean to dis you by saying that; it's just something I imagine is rather far from your realm of experience.)

Right now, I can get up and go get in the Durango (well, I could if Erik didn't have it at work) and drive to any gay bar in the city and grab a handful of condoms.  For free.  I could go into Planned Parenthood and do the same thing.  I could probably get them somewhere on campus at SAC or UTSA.

I can go to one of the MetroHealth clinics, and because I'm below the poverty line, I could get condoms, birth control pills, Depo Provera, or even an intrauterine device free.  I could get a well-woman visit,  including breast exam and pap smear, free from the same place.  I could probably get an abortion without paying for it too.  (I dunno; I've never met anyone who's done that.)

Now, if I want bullets, I can get in the truck and go to Wal-Mart.  Where, going off the last time I bought ammo, I will have to go to the automotive center and ask them to call someone over to sporting goods and wait for someone with a key to show up and unlock the cabinet they keep their ammo in, and then show my ID to prove I'm over 18.  (I don't have a clue, to be honest, whether this is standard or just one of those weird Wal-Mart things like them checking age for R-rated movies, or even if they still check age anymore.)

What I can't do is take my pick of different ways to get ammo for free, funded by the government.

Huh.  It's almost as though Shannyn Moore is full of shit.

2 comments:

kx59 said...

Good'n Sabra.

Unknown said...

It is not a Wal-Mart thing. Handgun ammunition cannot be sold to anyone younger than 18. Kind of a stupid law since there are rifles in 44mag, 357, 45acp, 9mm, and other handgun calibers.