Monday, January 14, 2013

Imma go get me some government subsidized bullets!

Huh.  Who'da thunk it?  Bullets are easier to get than birth control.

I know most of my readers are men and middle-class and straight, so this might take a bit of explaining. (And I don't mean to dis you by saying that; it's just something I imagine is rather far from your realm of experience.)

Right now, I can get up and go get in the Durango (well, I could if Erik didn't have it at work) and drive to any gay bar in the city and grab a handful of condoms.  For free.  I could go into Planned Parenthood and do the same thing.  I could probably get them somewhere on campus at SAC or UTSA.

I can go to one of the MetroHealth clinics, and because I'm below the poverty line, I could get condoms, birth control pills, Depo Provera, or even an intrauterine device free.  I could get a well-woman visit,  including breast exam and pap smear, free from the same place.  I could probably get an abortion without paying for it too.  (I dunno; I've never met anyone who's done that.)

Now, if I want bullets, I can get in the truck and go to Wal-Mart.  Where, going off the last time I bought ammo, I will have to go to the automotive center and ask them to call someone over to sporting goods and wait for someone with a key to show up and unlock the cabinet they keep their ammo in, and then show my ID to prove I'm over 18.  (I don't have a clue, to be honest, whether this is standard or just one of those weird Wal-Mart things like them checking age for R-rated movies, or even if they still check age anymore.)

What I can't do is take my pick of different ways to get ammo for free, funded by the government.

Huh.  It's almost as though Shannyn Moore is full of shit.


kx59 said...

Good'n Sabra.

BobG said...


Unknown said...

It is not a Wal-Mart thing. Handgun ammunition cannot be sold to anyone younger than 18. Kind of a stupid law since there are rifles in 44mag, 357, 45acp, 9mm, and other handgun calibers.