Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday Song~One for Erik



Well, this is a blog post I never thought I'd be writing...

If you read Erik's blog or Borepatch's, you already know the punchline.  This baby has something no other baby of mine has ever had before: a penis.  I haven't quite put the diaper on the wrong end like I joked would probably happen, but I have experienced the urge to track down and slap every person who told me boy diapers are easier to change.  Two words, people: floppy bits.  Girls do not have anything that needs to be picked up and moved to clean underneath.

Not that I am unhappy with a boy.  Just a bit in shock still.  Erik announced the sex at birth, and even he was surprised.  I know the odds are roughly even every single time, but you do not expect tails when you've gotten heads every other coin flip.  Human nature, I guess.  (Except, y'know, for all the people who figured I had to have a boy now, 'cause I'd run out of girl chances.)

He had to make his mark, too.  I was the most pregnant I'd ever been (41w 4d), if only by a few hours, and he was my heaviest baby.  One of the things I am always harping on is how unreliable ultrasound estimates of a baby's weight are, and he is the poster child for that.  The day before he was born, the tech estimated his weight at 7lb 11oz; he was born 9lb 4oz.  And he also was born, according to the midwife, with his hand up by his face.  Let me tell you, even without drugs on board, I had no clue there was anything odd about his position when he was coming out.  Honestly, until he was weighed, I still believed he was going to be in the vicinity of 7lbs, because he is a shorty.

I did promise music.

One of the singers Erik & I have a bit of a disagreement over is Alan Jackson.  Erik places him right up there near King George; my opinion has always been meh at best, and that was before he started in with the tragically dead woman songs. (Which, by the way, are distinctly different from woman-killing songs, which I find far less irksome.)  I don't demand deep meaning from my music for the most part, but nor am I terribly fond of novelty songs, and I still can't quite get past the mind-numbing irritation of "Chattahoochie" (by the way, darlin', that song is totally one of the progenitors of the brain-dead redneck party songs we both hate so much).

Today's song, however, is one of the reasons I do understand Erik's fondness for Jackson's music.  It's one of his older tunes, a nice old-fashioned country waltz.  I was mulling over what song to use for Fünf's entrance music, and for some reason this fits quite well.  My life isn't quite what I'd expected, but it is good.



2 comments:

Borepatch said...

What a sweet picture.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you! (And a boy needs a mom like you!)