Tuesday, May 01, 2012

THIS...This is my kind of country

KJ97, one of the local radio stations, has these obnoxious billboards featuring someone like Kenny Chesney and the tagline "This is YOUR kind of country."  Every time I see them, I am tempted to call them up and tell them to play some goddamned Hayes Carll.

Luckily for my sanity (and probably for not getting arrested), when the wind is blowing right and we're on the eastern side of town, we can get in KNBT from New Braunfels.  It's not a perfect solution, since it's Americana rather than country.*  But it comes through on a pretty regular basis.  Tonight as I was headed home from Little Caesar's, this came on the radio, prompting higher volume and concerted ignoring of the static:

That, boys and girls, is my kind of country music, not some manchild whining about the good ol' days.  Now, Hank Williams (Sr.) it ain't, but it's still recognizably country.

By the by, this is the song Hood references:


Cory Morrow is pretty dependable when it comes to good music.




*Americana is fine as a genre, but I'm not going to relinquish the term country music for the real stuff.  Etta James, much as I love her, does not belong on the same radio station as these guys.

No comments: