Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Somehow, I didn't think equality would look like this...

Erik and I stopped off at BJ's Brewpub for lunch (one of those places that can be really overpriced or reasonable, depending on which part of the menu you order from). They had quite a few TVs, and I happened to glance up at the one on the wall in front of our booth at just the wrong right time and saw an ad for what I can only call Spanx for men. I didn't catch the brand name, but the commercial was obvious in its purpose--plenty of shots of beer bellies flattened out, complete with fawning women lovingly running their hands over the spandexed expanse of their man's torso.

Given that the sound was off, I can only assume they were saying "Welcome to my hell, sucker."

Folks, when I said I wanted more equitable grooming expectations, I didn't mean that men should become just as burdened with idiotic societal strictures. This trend has been developing for years, though, so I can't say I'm really surprised. Annoyed? Yes. Disappointed? Yep. Saddened, even? Sigh. Yeah.

No comments: