Monday, June 20, 2011

We're up in your pews, flippin' through your prayer books...

...drinking your Communion wine, and shakin' your hand...

Once upon a time in Hawaii, my ex-husband introduced one of his coworkers to me as "the world's only conservative Jew."  I promptly introduced myself to him as one of two remaining conservative Episcopalians; he said his mother was the other one.

Turns out the situation's not so bad as that.  Seems that Borepatch, in addition to having come quickly around to the concept of barbeque brisket (though I somehow doubt he'll be chowing down on smoked lamb ribs any time soon) is no stranger to the wonders of pew aerobics himself.

So yesterday's conversation included not only discussion of just what you might expect (guns, politics, differences between Up There and Down Here), but also a healthy dose of Church stuff.  There's a huge variation within the ECUSA, as you might imagine, so it's always neat for me to get together with someone who has a different experience of the whole thing.  I will say here, since I think I forgot to yesterday, that High Church in New England (really, anywhere on the East Coast) is a different animal altogether from High Church in Texas.  No matter how hard we try, we never really ascend beyond, say, Medium Church, not even while Utilizing Rite One.

It was a super fun visit, as both my husband and Borepatch have already pointed out.  BP definitely gets points for the first part of my list in the previous post; you can tell from the way he speaks of both his sons and his wife that he absolutely adores the trio.  The internet is so the greatest thing ever for introverts; it allows us to communicate with one another in an easy enough way that when we finally do get together, it's like Old Home Week or something.  Very cool.

1 comment:

JD said...

Isn't it funny how you can get to know folks, and call them friend through their blog, even though you may have never actually met in person?

Gotta love bloggers. . .