Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday Song

I think I'm going to do my best to make this a regular thing.

You'll note that this isn't titled as a guilty pleasure.  That's because this is a damned good song. It's way outside my norm for songs to listen to even for a few seconds, but it's really something.  I like songs that tell stories.

I wanted to compare the artist, Fort Minor, to Linkin Park, and according to Wikipedia, there's a very good reason for that--it's a solo project for Mike Shinoda, who does at least some of the vocals for that band.  Wikipedia describes Fort Minor as hip hop, which I guess is as good a description as any (Linkin Park is rap metal, and personally I'd put Fort Minor in that same strange subgenre).

"Where'd You Go" is a song you've probably heard.  Released in 2006, it went platinum.  It seems like a deeply personal song, but I'm not finding any info to indicate it's autobiographical.  It's an easy one to relate to, if work has ever separated you from a loved one...or, hell, if you've ever seriously wondered about the direction a relationship is headed.

This is the official music video.  I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but I'm going to guess it's the censored version.  Most radio edits don't make a lot of sense, but fuck is said a few times (strangely

enough, always in decent context):

No comments: