Friday, April 29, 2011

Presented without further comment

This is a direct quote from one of my Bible as Literature classmates.  It is an un-retouched cut-and-paste, with the exception of a bit of added emphasis:

After reading lecture 14, I now understand why there are a few people who don’t believe in Jesus. Between what the bible says and from what scholars say, the two can contradict each other. With this contradiction, I would see why someone would not want to follow up on the bible. From my understanding, I feel as if all religions are somewhat connected. They all reference someone from the bible. From the Catholics, Jews, Baptist, Christian and Muslim etc.. They all have some biblical connection of some sort. Scholars who continue to research and find ways that the bible may have been proven wrong. There are scholars who did the same research and proved ways of stating the bible is of truth. Even if the truth may have been extended a little, it still has historical facts.

1 comment:

Borepatch said...

Sigh.

She's stumbling towards something important, though. The ancient Greeks had a saying, the one wax takes many molds. I like the (I think eastern) saying the infinite condescends to the mind of Man, speaking in a multitude of voices in the hopes that one will be heard.

But the idea of "proof" as relates to the scripture is dismaying - indeed, possibly heretical. If it is true that Man is saved only through Faith, and if science could prove the truth of the scriptures, then what would be the value of Faith?

I'd also challenge her about the interconnected bit. The central peculiarity of the Christian Faith is the concept of Grace. It is, as far as I can tell, sui generis. Any comparative religion course needs to spend time on this. Why is this so important to Christians? Why is it neglected in other faiths?

Again, heavy sigh. This is a worthy topic. It sounds like your classmate phoned it in.

Somehow, I think that the Lord is disappointed.