Thursday, March 03, 2011

7 Things

I realize this is very similar to what I've been doing, but Mike tagged me & no one ever does in these memes, so I figure I'd better respond so I look like I'm willing to play.

So, 7 Things You Probably Don't Know About Me:

1) I can actually sprint pretty fast (I'm nowhere near as good as Mike, though).  I used to love it in elementary school.  What happened?  Puberty.  There is not a sports bra in existence (that doesn't cost $60+, anyway) that has any hope in hell of making even jogging a comfortable proposition for me.  I'm also crazy flexible, to an extent you wouldn't expect from someone who weighs 200lbs.

2) When I was 8 or 9, my mother enrolled me in modeling classes at Lord & Taylor.  At the end of the class there was a fashion show with the store's merchandise.  I had the opportunity for work in modeling after that, but for some reason (I think because my mother bought the shoes that went with the outfit I wore), I had the idea that doing so cost money, so I said no.  It's probably a good thing, because I started gaining weight when I hit puberty (there it is again! damn hormones) and of course models are coached into eating disorders.  Plus, I'm short.  I don't know how I got the short end of the genetic stick with that one, given that my dad was 6'2" & my mom is 5'8". 

3) I am actually really good at math.  I will get an A in whatever course if I half pay attention.  Unfortunately, it bores me senseless and so I don't pursue anything requiring heavy math use.  This includes Chemistry.  I'd be a Psych major right now if a Chemistry course weren't for some reason required by my college.

4)  I had one whole speech therapy class in elementary school.  I have problems making the "br" sound properly.  I have no clue why I only had the one class.  Erik says he cannot hear anything wrong with the way I say it, but I do.  Of course, this is made worse by the fact that my name has the sound!

5) I placed 3rd in a writing contest my senior year of high school.  It was something I threw together just to enter the contest, and I did really well.  As seems typical of such things, the two stories that placed higher were worse than mine, and there were one or two that didn't place at all that were better.  Related to that, I suck at sticking to my writing when I'm happy.

6)  For as long as I can remember, I've wanted a lot of kids.  I have a brother & a sister, but since none of us were raised together, I was essentially an only child.  I used to say an even dozen would be a great idea.  I've never wanted fewer than four.  We do plan to have more kids when we're able, but it's going to take improvement in the financial situation.  I've always been a wee bit jealous of the Duggars.  I can understand people who choose  to not have kids at all (and I really really do respect that), but I honestly don't understand having just one or two kids, although I do not think any less of a person who does.  I just don't get it.  (And I'm sure that most folks who only have two kids never gave much thought to having more than that, and if I ever do have six or eight kids I'm sure they won't understand me either.)

7)  I'm about to buy a sewing machine and try learning to sew AGAIN.  I was taught in high school, and then lost the skill through disuse.  I tried re-teaching myself when we lived in Virginia, but with no luck.  It drives me crazy that I cannot do this!  I'm hoping it will be more like knitting (which I learned after several tries) and less like swimming, which I can't learn to do now matter how hard and how often I try to.

I'm going to tag just a few people, because I'm not sure who won't roll his/her eyes at this sort of thing:

1) Erik (maybe if Mike & I both tag him, he'll do it)
2) Suz
3) Greg
4) Dave
5) BobS
6) Borepatch (probably already tagged by JayG, but c'mon and do it when you feel able)

No comments: