Tuesday, February 22, 2011

30 Days of Truth: Day 23

Day 23 → Something you wish you had done in your life.

Heh.

I wish I had gone to college right out of high school.  Why didn't I?  To put it plainly, I was ignorant as hell back then.  Because I was white, my high school guidance counselor had basically no interest in me.  (The list of available scholarships in her office?  Every last one of them was for minorities only.)  Basically, I didn't know what questions to ask to find the information I needed, and no one was willing to assist me, and I was too introverted to hunt down people who probably would have helped.  I probably could have asked my history/Psych teacher for help, for instance, or my Journalism teacher, but it honestly never occurred to me.

I had the idea that I wanted to become a court reporter.  So I researched court reporting schools.  Found one in Dallas.  Totally missed the fact that SAC (the college I'm currently attending) has a program for it, so I gave up when I couldn't figure out how the hell to pay for the Dallas school.

Know how I said I don't like where I am right now, economically-speaking?  This relates to that.  I was really, really burned out on school at the time.  I had no idea that college was a world apart from high school, that no longer would I be dragged down to the level of the dumbest student in class, that I'd have a large variety of classes to choose from to satisfy my requirements...So I didn't fight for it.  If I had, I'd probably be in a better place today.

No comments: