I don't mean to be dismissive, here. I'm sure that the Zimmerman, Stoddard, Murray, Scheck, Roll, and Greene families are experiencing pain beyond anything I can begin to imagine. I am thankful for the miracle of Giffords's survival and continued recovery.
But I don't see what makes this mass murder any more tragic than any other. A quick check of Wikipedia gives me:
- 3 people killed in a workplace shooting in St. Louis in Jan 2010
- That same month, 8 people were killed in Appomattox, VA
- In August, in Manchester, CT, 8 people were killed in another workplace shooting
- Also in January, 3 people were killed in a workplace shooting in Kennesaw, GA
- And of course there was the shooting at U of Alabama in Huntsville in February, which also killed 3 people
So why is this the mass murder that gets all the attention? Why does President Obama work to console the survivors of this tragedy? Why did the folks in Tucson get the groovy souvenir t-shirts and not the folks in, say, Appomattox?
OK, I know why. Because Gabrielle Giffords is Representative Giffords, there is political hay to be made. There are fingers to be pointed (none of which are directing our attention to our broken mental health system, I am forced to note). Asses to be shown.
Doesn't make the hoopla any less disgusting.