Sunday, May 17, 2009

Guns, Zombies, and Cursing



So, when we were in Del Rio, I saw this church. I didn't get any closer to it than this. I undoubtedly could have, but I had three small children with me at the time, and I was afraid I'd get in trouble for sticking my head in through one of the broken windows to look inside.

I did take a couple of pictures, because it was the neatest thing.

The whole trip was really fun, and I came back knowing I had to get it into a short story. So I laid aside the novel I've been writing. (Yes, I'm writing a novel. Yes, I know damn near everybody who blogs is also writing a novel.) And I wrote a short story, using the same main character, because I am lazy like that.

This is the story. It's still in fairly rough draft. I am posting a link to it in two places, and this is one of them. I'm not posting it on the message board where I spend most of my time because, although I do welcome constructive criticism, I'm not in the mood to have harpies rip my story apart, and I'm confident at least one of the members there would do so. This makes it a little harder to find, but I know at least three people from that site whose opinions I really respect read here too.

I dunno if any of my regular readers will find it to be there thing. There are undoubtedly tactical/procedural/linguistic errors, and there may be one case where my slang is completely wrong. That's why it's still in rough draft.

I did check out my guns, though. I hit Glock's website to check out my main character's carry pistol, only to find it later on on JayG's blog. Which is also where I found the information on most of the other guns mentioned in the story. I really had to restrain myself not to load the end of the story down, in fact. My character isn't nearly as knowledgeable about boomsticks, so I had to go with what she'd know.

The title of this post, by the way, is what I used to warn people with at MotheringDotCommune. Buncha hippies.

So, if you are kind enough to read it, please let me know what you think, and point out any glaring errors. Especially if you speak colloquial Spanish or German. (A decade + out, my German sucks.)

And if you happen to really, really like Del Rio, please accept my apologies.

No comments: