Saturday, October 11, 2008

An American Carol

Found out about this movie when it sent me a friend request on MySpace. Seriously. Read the synopsis and decided I had to see it.

It's political. Right-wing political. I've seen a few people here & there say it's our duty as conservatives to support this movie. I think that's taking it a bit far. It's a commercial product; I have no obligation to it.

That said, I saw it last night. And now I will say that you MUST go see it. Why? 'Cause it's f'ing hilarious. And the message is spot-on and the send-up of Michael Moore is hilarious.

There are a few places where it's a bit ham-handed. Which is totally typical of spoof films, which is what this is at heart. This is from the dude who did the Naked Gun movies, and you can tell. It's even got Leslie Nielsen in it. I adore Leslie Nielsen. (I also loved Con Air, so y'all are probably getting a really good picture of my taste in movies 'round about now.)

It's okay to take kids to, even though it's rated PG-13. I didn't notice any cussing (can't swear it wasn't there, because I wasn't listening for it), and there was only a bit of sexual innuendo.

The audience was more diverse than I honestly expected. Theater was maybe 1/3 - 1/2 full (I sat in the very first row, so I wasn't paying a lot of attention) & included a couple of fair-sized groups of teenagers.

There is also a somewhat raunchy Sailor/Marine joke towards the end of the movie that had me laughing so much I almost literally fell out of my seat. Which says a lot about the kind of sailor I hang with...

No comments: