Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm movin' along...

One of the most frustrating parts of trying to beat the ACCD (Alamo Community College District), specifically SAC (San Antonio College), into submission is that they power their servers down on Sundays. So I have an e-mail with a headline something about "information missing", but I can't get online to see just what information they're missing, or if anything at all is, since the body of the e-mail says nothing of the sort.

Oh, to have internet access at home again!

If all goes well, which it probably won't, I'll be starting at SAC on the 25th of August, mere days after my birthday. (I'll be 29. I know, so old. For a first-time student, anyway.) I've been getting one hell of a run-around on the financial aid issue, and unless it suddenly straightens out or I pull $300 out of my ass in two weeks, I'm not going to be able to start on time. But I'm trying to keep calm; I can reregister and start in October for their Flex II schedule, whatever the heck that is.

So wish me luck.

My eldest daughter is also starting in public school. Well, a charter school. It's a better solution than the elementary school over near us, but I'm not exactly impressed at the moment. I've been given no information, for instance, on exactly what constitutes a proper uniform (I know "khaki bottom and maroon top", but that covers a lot of territory), or minor details such as the first day of classes and what time school starts. We were assured when I enrolled her that info would be mailed out, but it's almost August, y'all, get a move on!

Other parents can relate to this, but it drives me nuts. School supply lists. No, my daughter's not going to need 2 pairs of scissors and four boxes of crayons and three boxes of Kleenex. Why on Earth do they expect us to supply the whole class? I can afford to buy her supplies, barely, but I'm not going to buy supplies for everyone else. I can't. This is a poor part of town, too, so somehow I doubt anyone else can afford to buy enough for the whole class, either. It's only going to magnify as I add more kids to the roster. (Not to mention the issue of coming up with uniforms and needing my own supplies...) I did, however, just buy 50 spiral notebooks at 5 cents each. God bless Wal-Mart.

In other news, I am still married. Last I heard of the divorce papers, they were sitting on my husband's headboard (he's got one of those cubbyhole ones so popular back in the '80s) being ignored, 'cause he didn't wanna look at them, they make him too uncomfortable or whatever. Dude, things to think about before you file! I'm in no hurry, though. I've got no plans to run out and remarry, or even date (got more important things going on right now, to be honest), so it's really all the same to me.

At least he hasn't been acting like a total dipweed lately. When he's upset with me, he avoids the kids...They've seen him several times during the week for the past two or three weeks, and we all had dinner together this past Friday night. So that's as good as it can be.

'Tis all from me for now, I'm off to read other blogs...

No comments: